Whether you’re a high-school athlete, college athlete, or just someone who enjoys playing sports, you may want to consider looking into physiotherapy services to help you stay healthy and injury-free. Sports physiotherapy is a type of therapy used to help athletes prevent injuries and recover from injuries, and here are two ways it may help you avoid getting injured while playing your favorite sports.
Helps You Choose the Right Equipment
Almost all sports require certain types of equipment, but each sport has different requirements. Your physiotherapist will help you select the right equipment for you, and this will be based on your body type and the type of sport you play. This can include:
- Shoes – there are different types of shoes for all different sports. Your therapist can help you select shoes that contain the right features and qualities for the sport you play.
- Pads – you may need knee pads, elbow pads, or wraps for your ankles. Each of these items is designed to support and protect a certain body part.
- Helmet – helmets are needed for cycling and football. If you need a helmet for your activity, it’s important to choose one that is strong, durable, and comfortable.
- Orthotics – these are often used inside shoes for support of the arches in the feet, or simply for comfort.
- Clothing – you may not realize too that the clothing you wear is also important for your safety, and every sport requires different types of clothing.
Physiotherapy can help you dress right and have the right equipment for your sport, and this is something that may help you avoid getting injured while you play.
Teaches You Proper Ways To Warm Up
The second important way physiotherapists help athletes with this is by teaching them how to properly warm-up before playing. Warming up is something that is important for several reasons, including:
- Helps you prepare emotionally and physically for the event or practice
- Loosens the muscles and prepares them for hard work
- Decreases risks of common sport injuries, such as pulled muscles
Proper warmup is one of the most important steps you can take to prevent injuries from sporting activities. If you need help selecting activities to do to help you warm up, you can start meeting with a sports physiotherapist. This is a great way to learn how to protect yourself against injuries, and it may also help you find better ways to work out and play the sport you love.
For more information, contact White Rock Orthopaedic & Sports Physiotherapists Clinic or a similar location.